Sunday, December 23, 2012

Reading: The Happiness Project

I recently grabbed the book, "The Happiness Project," by Gretchen Rubin, from the library. We sold it at Anthropologie, and a co-worker recommended it, and now we sell it at my current job, too. In fact, the owner of my current company loved the book so much, she commissioned a special collector's cover for the book and created a companion journal so people can organise their own happiness projects.


I'm only a couple chapters in, but it already has me thinking about changes I can make in my life. I don't think I'll go whole-hog on a year-long project, but I have outlined roughly 12 areas of my life that could stand some improvement, and identified some goals within each area. They're those thoughts you have now and again, "I should start doing [x]" or "I need to do [y] more often," and when I sit down to write them down, there are loads of them! My goals are not new, it's just the first time I've identified them on paper and tried to work on several of them at a time.

One of the goals on my list, which I already do pretty well, is to read a book at least once a day. Living in a foreign country (i.e. not having many friends) and working only part time gives one quite a bit of spare time, and I've been getting through a few books lately. I don't need to read for any specified amount of time, I just need to read. So it's great that Pip from Meet Me at Mike's has suggested a bit of a read-along for a book called, "I Capture the Castle." I just requested it from the library and will read it after I finish the Happiness Project, though that might take me a while because I am actually taking notes and stopping to think about a lot of it. Thinking about improving your outlook on life is fun! So is reading! Yays!

1 comment:

  1. This book intrigues me. It sounds goal-oriented. I wonder if I should have FEWER goals, though. My new goal may be to start eliminating goals. Paradox. Please tell me more about this book next time we chat.

    ReplyDelete