Thursday, November 15, 2012

Work in progress: Christmas stocking

I've wanted to make myself a Christmas stocking for years. Last year, I bought Hugh a knitted stocking from Anthropologie, and I decided I'd use some of my current wools to make myself an imitation.

Hugh's stocking from Anthro
 

I started with a variety of wools and stitches, but then I decided I was really in love with this one thick and thin wool. The colors make my heart sing.


Inspired by the look of this stocking from Knit Collage, I set out to knit a plain stockinette stitch with my lovely wool. It's so beautiful! The white bits soften the colored bits like snow covering a city. Seriously, it's gorgeous.

Buuuuuuut, I made the leg too long and ran out of wool for the toe. In hindsight, I should have just ripped it back, shortened the leg, and finished it. But no. I decided to see if I could knit the toe and heel in another wool, like lots of Christmas stockings are done. Unwisely, I knit the heel in a floppier, thinner wool that looks a bit sad. I cut several rows worth of the wool and knotted it in place, so I'm pretty much committed to the heel, but now I don't like it! Sigh. Someday I'll learn...Photos soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sad! It sucks when you get that far into a project. The only dress I've ever made yet, I was totally in love with the fabric, and kept believing all the way until I put the dress on that it would be cute. But the dress fits terribly and I don't know how to fix it. All that beautiful fabric wasted. Well, not wasted I guess, since mistakes are valuable too.

    ReplyDelete