Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Golden Gaytime

This is for real. And very tasty. It's a toffee and vanilla ice cream bar dipped in chocolate and honeycomb bits. Honeycomb! I really do love the food here.


Previously, I grossed out Emily, Rania, and Sara by describing the distinctive South Australian dish known as a pie floater (look it up; TheGoogle has some intensely unappetizing photos.) Hugh has never had one, so we may do a joint taste test soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

In Edinburgh, Hugh and I used to go to the local kebab shop and I would get "chicken meat and chips." Basically, a large styrofoam container full of fries with shaved chicken meat and garlic sauce and ketchup drizzled all over. Hugh says the equivalent here is called an "AB." I asked him and his sis what that meant and he answered, "basically chicken meat and chips." Since he'd already told me it was the equivalent of that, I rolled my eyes and said, "yes, but what does 'AB' mean?" After a brief hesitation, with eyes downcast, his sis replied quietly, "Abortion."

Yes, the South Australians have a dish called an abortion, because apparently that's what it looked like to the person that created it. And as horrendous as that is, I can't wait to try it. Does that make me a bad person?

No comments:

Post a Comment