Saturday, May 05, 2012

Mail Project #1

I've been meaning to write more letters (only for the past 10 years or so...), and I like to buy cute stationary to inspire me, but it doesn't really work. I spend lots of money on pretty paper sets, and then I write one letter with each set. I've always wanted to make more interesting mail, and I found a book the other day which I thought would help me do just that. I was wrong. It was a kind of annoying book more about mail artists than about crafting. These people create unique pieces of art out of random garbage they collect off the streets, or stamps that they make themselves, and then they mail them to each other. But they don't write letters. They don't write anything, except meaningless strings of words that sound artsy. And then they published a book about their art. Needless to say, it was a letdown, but it still inspired me. I collected some free supplies, like maps and, yes, scraps of garbage, and some cheap supplies, like a children's book from the 1950s from Powell's for $1, or a paperback copy of The Wizard of Oz from Target for $1. And now I'm starting to venture into the world of mail art, but my mail will actually have a point. So, here is Project Number 1: a letter/book for Aparna!



I'm currently working on Project Number 2, which I'm already really pleased with. Photos soooon!

No comments:

Post a Comment