Tuesday, July 25, 2006

And so it begins...

Oh jeez. I’m a total klutz! I found this awesome job listing for a position that would be pretty doggone close to perfect for me, and I started getting together everything I would need to apply for it. I polished up my résumé and wrote a cover letter explaining why I’m well qualified for the job, then I filled out the company’s application. I even started to draft the email I was going to send them. The thing is, I wasn’t going to apply just yet because I was going to wait for my mom to proof-read my résumé and cover letter. So I got the email all ready to go, with everything attached, and I went to press “Save Now,” and accidentally pressed “Send.” OF COURSE. I almost started hyper-ventilating. I immediately pressed “Cancel” and “Discard” and everything I could think of, but it was already flying through the system of tubes that apparently make up the Internet.

There’s not really any reason to panic, yet. I think it should all be fine, but I wanted to make sure my résumé was perfect before sending it. Oh well. I need to chill and trust the Big Guy that they will love me and my résumé and beg me to come work for them.

*sigh* Now I just have to wait four to six weeks, which I find completely unnerving. Their website said that I would only hear from them if they were interested in interviewing me, and that would be between four and six weeks from now. If they don’t want to interview me, I won’t ever hear anything from them. So I’ll have to wait TWO MONTHS to know if I got through the first trial, or if my résumé was indeed less than perfect. ARGH. Furthermore, they don’t list a phone number on the website to call them and check on application status. Come on, people! Throw me a freakin’ bone, here!

Anyway, this makes my first job application this summer! Yippee! It is kind of a relief to have that behind me, despite the stress of not having meant to do it yet. Now I can say that I am actively searching for a job. I will celebrate this productive day by visiting blogs (I know it's been a while). Later!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Well, I hope that the outcome is positive, proof-read or not!

    I may have to start my search for a job soon too... I'm looking at getting an aupair for my two, but it's gonna take intensive research. I already have two companies shortlisted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Do you think it was like some kind of cosmic accident or something? Like you were supposed to hit send or something? Like that movie Serendipity where she gives him the book he has been looking for FOR YEARS as a wedding gift, you know the one with HER NAME IN IT, (I hope you have seen that movie and I didn't just ruin it for you.....) Anywho, good luck and all that.

    TTFN~
    Ronna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope everything works out for you. You never know, right? Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karen,
    sorry I took soooo long to get back to you about your question...

    Well, If and when I do return to the job market, it will probably be in the same vein as what I have been doing here...ie. Fashion.

    But, I am about 1 1/2 hours from Manhattan, so if its gonna be at my old job in Times square, they are gonna have to make it worth my while to get up at 5.30am each morning...as in $$$$ worth my while.

    If not that, then probably some admin position locally.

    But we'll see. I just hope the aupair thing works out. For some reason people keep swaying me away from it, but these are the ones who have no idea what its all about.

    Decisions, decisions....

    ReplyDelete
  5. When do I get to see my very favorite Karen again?

    ReplyDelete